There are only a few Cuisinart stand mixer series on the market:
SM-35, SM-50, SM-55, SM-70.
Each series has a few models in different colors:
- SM-35 is in White Linen, SM-35R is in Ruby Red, SM-35BC is in Silver Lining.
- SM-50 is White Linen, SM-50BK is Onyx Black, SM-50BL is Periwinkle Blue ,SM-50TQ is Robbin’s Egg, SM-50R is Ruby Red, SM-50BC is Silver Lining.
- SM-55 is White, SM-55BK is Black, SM-55BC is Brushed Chrome.
- SM-70 is White, SM-70BK is Black, SM-55BC is Brushed Chrome.
If you are deciding between them, the comparison table and info below that shows some differences between them may be helpful to you.
|Series||Models||Included Bowl||Motor Wattage||Countdown Timer|
|SM-35||SM-35(White Linen), SM-35R(Ruby Red), SM-35BC(Silver Lining)||3.5-Quart Stainless Steel Bowl with Handle||350-watt||No|
|SM-50||SM-50(White Linen),SM-50BK(Onyx Black),SM-50BL(Periwinkle Blue),SM-50TQ(Robbin's Egg),SM-50R(Ruby Red),SM-50BC(Silver Lining)||5.5-Quart Stainless Steel Bowl with Handle||500-watt||No|
|SM-55||SM-55(White),SM-55BK(Black),SM-55BC(Brushed Chrome)||5.5 Quart Stainless Steel Bowl with Handles||800-watt||Yes|
|SM-70||SM-70(White),SM-70BK(Black),SM-55BC(Brushed Chrome)||7-Quart Stainless Steel Bowl with Handles||1,000-watt||Yes|
All of them are tilt head stand mixers, feature 12 mixing speeds.
As for the design, they can be sorted into two groups:
the SM-35 series and SM-50 series are mechanically similar, while the SM-55 series is similar to the SM-70 series.
Apart from the info listed in the comparison table above, there are some other differences between these Cuisinart stand mixers:
- The Bowls are a bit different. The SM-35 series and SM-50 series come with a bowl with one handle for one hand gripping while the SM-55 series and SM-70 series come with a 2 handed bowl.
- Attachment port design. The SM-35 series and SM-50 series have one attachment port for connecting optional attachments while the SM-55 series and SM-70 series have 3 ports for optional attachments.
- Countdown Timer. The SM-55 series and SM-70 series were equipped with a 15-Minute Countdown Timer with Auto Shutoff whereas the SM-35 series and SM-50 series do not have the timer.
Fold Function. The SM-55 series and SM-70 series have a Fold button located in the center of the speed control dial, this fold operation allows you to mix ingredients at the lowest speed.
While the SM-35 series and SM-50 series do not have this Fold button.
- On/Off Control. The SM-55 series and SM-70 series have a On/Off button located in the center of the speed control dial, next to the Fold button, you press it to turn on or off the mixer. While the SM-35 series and SM-50 series use the control dial to turn on or off.
- Maximum Capacity. Because their motor power and bowl size are different, the mixing capacities are different. The capacity data are from the Cuisinart stand mixers manuals.
(most breads, pizza)
|Cookie Dough||Whipping Cream||Egg Whites|
|SM-35||4.5 cups flour (for 2 pounds baked bread)||5 dozen cookie||2 cups heavy cream (yield |
about 4 cups whipped cream)
|8 large egg whites|
|SM-50||6 cups flour||5 dozen cookie||6 cups liquid (12 cups |
|12 large egg whites|
|SM-55||12 cups flour||10 dozen cookie||6 cups||12 large egg whites|
|SM-70||15 cups flour||15 dozen cookie||8 cups||16 large egg whites|
- Die cast metal construction.
- Stainless Steel Bowl.
- Tilt back head allows you to change accessories and access to the bowl easily.
- 12 mixing speeds for different needs.
- Attachment port for optional attachments, such as Meat Grinder.
- All of them come with
(1)Chef’s Whisk incorporates air into mixtures, good for whipping eggs, egg whites, or heavy cream.
(1)Flat Mixing Paddle for stirring, mixing, or beating mixtures.
(1)Dough Hook for mixing and kneading of yeast dough for breads, rolls, pizza, pasta dough,etc.
(1)Splashguard with Pour Spout prevents spattering when mixing and adding ingredients.
- Carry 3 year limited warranty.
According to info on Cuisinart official site, the SM-55 series and SM-70 series has been discontinued.